.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

 

Future of my blog and eportfolios

I've been thinking what I will write about in my blog when this class is finished and then I read an email to the group from Elderbob. He talked about blogs not being a diary, but a public spot to discuss ideas. He says that to have an effective blog, the teacher needs to think through the purpose of the blog and who will read it. He points out that for this class the blogs were set up by us students in the beginning with the knowledge that others would be reading them. I would like to point out that our blogs were also commented on by others in the class and by the instructors in the beginning, also. This really did make me, at least, feel that others were reading my blog. Thanks to all of you!
Elderbob also talked about the use of constructive criticism in reading each other's blogs. I teach for the University of Phoenix Online and have the students put their individual and team work in an Outlook Express newsgroup for everyone in the class to read. Students comment on each others work. This seems to work out well and many students have commented that they learn a lot from this. He also points out that blogs are pretty new and will take a while for educators to figure out how to use them. I agree with this, and also think that it will take sometime after we know ways to use them for them to be accepted as an educational tool by the general public.
Then he told about Renata Grankageva's Blog: http://www.grankageva.blogspot.com/
Renata keeps a blog telling about her classes, what went well, what didn't, what happened in the classes, etc. I am thinking about doing that after this course is finished. Elderbob pointed out that students many times do what the instructor does. Teachers tend to teach like they were taught and I think that discussing what has happened in the classes I teach may be of interest to other teachers and students in the education field. Even better, if others comment, then more ideas will be presented to be talked over. Thanks, Elderbob, for a very thoughtful email to the group.
Now if I could just figure out how to add her blog to my bloglines list. I'm think there is a way, but I can't figure it out.

I like the idea of eportfolios very much and have enjoyed reading about them. I just found an article with an annotated list of places that host eportfolios: Product Roundup: An Electronic Portfolio Sampler: http://syllabus.com/article.asp?id=7107

Comments:
Janet,
To get Renata's blog "Getting There" added to your bloglines list, scroll down her page till you see in the LH sidebar the orange graphic that says "Site Feed". Click it, then copy that page's URL. Go to Bloglines and click "My Feed" then "Add" and paste the URL in the box that comes up.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?